Ma Lai Koe (Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake)
- Ma Lai Koe (Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake)
- 125 g high protein flour
- 90 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp custard
- 225 g castor sugar
- 125 g melted butter
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 tsp treacle
- 3 eggs
- 180-190 ml UHT milk
- 1½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp toasted olive nuts or melon seeds (kua chee)
- Sift flours and custard powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar; mix. Add melted butter, essence, treacle and milk. Beat in eggs and use a hand whisk to mix until mixture is smooth.
- Sift in baking powder to combine. Pour batter into a lightly greased 20?22cm round cake tin.
- Sprinkle some olive nuts over the batter or, if preferred, use melon seeds.
- Put into a steamer and steam over rapid boiling water on high heat for 30?35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove steamed sponge from the steamer and set aside to cool completely before cutting into pieces.