These pumpkin pancakes are a healthier alternative to the store-bought versions. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- pumpkin pancakes
- Flour mixture (combined)
- 300 g plain flour or wholewheat flour
- 30 g wheatgerm
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tbsp baking powder sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda sifted
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt fine
- Milk and egg mixture (whisked together)
- 300 ml buttermilk or 280ml milk + 20ml lemon juice mixed
- 30 ml sweetened creamer
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 ml margarine melted or palm cooking oil
- 300 g pumpkin finely grated
To prepare batter:
- Place flour mixture in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in milk and egg mixture. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture into wet ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Stir in grated pumpkin.
- Heat a lightly greased wide nonstick pan or griddle over medium high heat. Pour a small ladle of batter and cook 1½ minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the rest.