- Seri Kaya
- 10 eggs
- 420ml thick coconut milk, extracted from 2 grated coconuts
- 575g sugar
- 3 pandan leaves, knotted
- Beat eggs and sugar well with a hand whisk. Put beaten eggs and pandan leaves in a saucepan over a very gentle heat to dissolve the sugar.
- When sugar has dissolved, remove the pan away from the heat and stir in thick coconut milk, mix well, then strain the mixture into a double boiler pot.
- Cook over rapidly boiling water. Keep stirring the mixture with a long wooden spoon until it thickens; top up the boiling water in the lower pot whenever necessary.
- Then wrap the lid with a big enough tea-towel (to prevent water dripping into the custard), replace it on the pot and steam the custard for two to three hours. (Do not stir the custard during this time.)
- When kaya is ready, discard the pandan leaves.