Delicious delights don’t have to always be unhealthy. Indulge in these healthy, homemade wholemeal waffles for that extra nutritious boost. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- wholemeal waffles
- Flour mixture (combined)
- 300 g whole wheat flour
- 30 g wheatgerm
- 1 tsp salt fine
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Milk mixture (whisked together)
- 300 ml milk
- 30 ml sweetened creamer
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or grated rind of 1 lemon
- 50 ml melted margarine or palm cooking oil
- 4 eggs large; beaten
To prepare batter:
- Place flour mixture in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in milk mixture. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture into wet ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Cover bowl and leave to rise at room temperature at least 1 hour. The batter can be prepared ahead and stored overnight in the fridge; stand for 1 hour at room temperature before using.
- Preheat electric waffle maker, brushing the inside with oil. Spoon mixture into mould. Cook until brown and crisp. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve with jam, maple syrup, honey and margarine or whipped cream.