Local fruits, when in season and plentiful, are great for frying up into crispy fritters.
- 135g plain flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 300g ripe bananas, peeled
- 1small egg
- Sift the flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the sugars and salt.
- Peel bananas and place in a bowl. Mash bananas with a fork. Add the egg and mix well. Add to the flour mixture. Blend well to mix into a sloppy batter.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a wok over medium heat. Use two tablespoons to scoop out the batter and drop into the hot oil.
- Do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry until the fritters are cooked through and golden brown in colour.
- Remove fritters as they cook and drain on paper towels. Cool slightly before serving.
To prepare batter