This recipe is best with
- 800g potatoes, unpeeled
- 40g butter
- 100ml hot milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of salt and dash of pepper to taste
- Gravy for the mashed potatoes
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 300-320ml fresh chicken stock
- 1 tbsp beef stock granules
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put potatoes in a large pan. Add enough water to cover and add in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and leave aside to cool.
- Peel the potatoes then put them into a pan. Add butter and heat over a low fire. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth in texture.
- Gradually pour in the hot milk and beat until mixture turns creamy without any lumps. Add in a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper to taste.
- To prepare the gravy, heat butter in a non-stick pan. Stir in the flour and allow the roux to brown gradually over a very low heat. Stir constantly to prevent the roux from burning.
- Blend in the stock and allow to boil. Add salt and pepper to taste and beef stock granules and mustard. Cook until the mixture turns thick and smooth.
- Serve the gravy with the mashed potato.