- 300g urad dhall (washed, soaked for several hours, then drained well)
- 260ml water
- 3/4tsp cumin
- Enough oil for deep-frying
- 2 onions (finely sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2cm piece ginger (minced)
- 3 green chillies (finely sliced)
- 1tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 sprig curry leaves (chopped)
- 2tsp salt
- 3/4tsp ground black pepper
- 3 1/2tbsp tbsp rice flour
- Put soaked dhall, cumin and water into a liquidiser. Blend till smooth. Put blended dhall and ingredients (A) into a large mixing bowl. Stir in seasoning to mix.
- Shape dhall mixture into 5cm-6cm flat round patties, making a hole in the centre. Heat enough oil in a wok and deep-fry vadai until golden brown. Drain on crumpled kitchen towels.