There is nothing like having the smell of a baking apple pie with cinnamon wafts all around the house. I first tried this dish and the apple filling was too wet that the dough would be spoilt. After a few times, I learnt that the apple filling must be filtered off liquid and the juice be thickened and then mixed again. This is almost a vegetarian dish and you can omit the eggs wash at the end if you are a vegetarian.
- 2.5 cups of wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 226 gm chilled unsalted butter
- Half cup of ice water
- 8 Granny Smith green apples
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch/ cornflour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Mix 2.5 cups of flour with 1 tsp salt and sift. Mix with 2tbsp sugar and crumble it with 226 gm unsalted butter until mixture is fine and can be patted into a dough.Flatten it a little bit and then leave it wrapped in clingwrap in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Peel apples and cut into flat small cubes. Mix with 1/4 cups of white sugar and brown sugar each. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tbsp unsalted butter and 1.5 tbsp cornstarch. Mix everything evenly and place filling on a filter, letting juices drop into another bowl. Leave for an hour.
- After one hour, microwave the dripped apple sauce for about 2 minutes until it thickens and then mix it back into the apples.
- Take out pie crust dough and let thaw for about ten minutes. Divide into two balls, one a little smaller. Roll out the dough to fit the baking plate. Place filling into the baking plate. Roll out the remaining dough real thin and cut it into long lattices. Weave the lattice onto the plate with the feeling and closing the edges of each lattice.
- Beat egg with milk and then wash it over the ;attice of the pie on the top.
- Bake in preheated over of 170 degrees Celcius for 20 mins untl top is browning. Then place aluminium foil loosely over the pie and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Take it out and let it cool. Cut and it is served best with vanilla ice cream.