This recipe is best with
- 200 g Granny Smith apples,peeled, cored and sliced thickly
- 2 slices lemon peel
- 10 g castor sugar
- 30 ml water
- 1 tbsp diced chilled butter(use unsalted butter)
- Put apples, lemon peel and water in a heavy-based saucepan, then cover with the lid and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the apples have turned soft over a gentle low heat.
- Stir in sugar. Take saucepan away from the heat and leave aside to cool. Pick out the lemon peel and discard. Puree the apples in an electric food processor until fine.
- Return the puree to the saucepan. Reheat gently and stir in the butter. Serve the apple sauce warm immediately.