This recipe is best with
- Sift together:
- 125 g flour
- 75 g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 150 g butter
- 225 g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 Granny Smith apples grated
- 1 tsp lemon juice mix into grated apple
- Mix together and add 2 tbsp sifted flour:
- 100 g walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sultanas
- 80 g crystalised pineapple pieces can be bought from supermarkets at the tidbits section
- Line and grease a 21 cm square cake pan. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla essence. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add 1 tbsp flour if mixture begins to curdle.
- Stir in grated apples. Fold in sifted flour and mix in walnuts, sultanas and pineapple. Blend well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ºC for one hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out dry. Cool in the pan for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.