- Peel the pears and remove the cores (if you so wish, you could peel the pears but leave them whole with the stems intact) place the pears in a saucepan that is deep enough to accommodate them.
- Add enough basic syrup to completely submerge the pears and bring to a simmering low boil until the pears turn just tender.
- Leave pears in the poaching liquid for 10-15 minutes, then drain and serve.
- For liqueur-poached pears, replace half of the basic syrup with any liqueur of your choice.
- For tasty, spicy poached pears, add one or two cloves, a small piece of cinnamon stick and two of three thin slices of ginger to the basic syrup while poaching.
- For the syrup, combine water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil until liquid turns syrupy. Cool and keep aside until needed.
You may also like