Red-skinned sugar cane is often boiled to obtain a semi-sweet sugar cane stock. It is a delicious drink on hot, sweaty days and helps cool us down. Try these recipes and enjoy.
- 500g red-skin sugar cane (chook chea´)
- 15g hairs of ginseng root (yong sum soe)
- 17g white fungus, soaked, the ends trimmed
- and cut into florets
- 20g dried figs
- 4 candied dates
- 5 red dates
- 100g rock sugar
- 1.4 litres water
- Clean and cut sugar cane into sections, then halves.
- Rinse and soak hairs of ginseng roots for 10-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a deep saucepan. Add all the ingredients and boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot partially and allow to simmer for about 45-50 minutes. Serve up the soup hot or when it has cooled down.