- 180ml cooking oil
- 15 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1kg chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 140g preserved shrimps (cincaluk), juice drained
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 400ml tamarind juice, extracted from 100g tamarind pulp and 400ml water
- 3 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 3 red chillies, halved lengthways, seeded and cut into three pieces
- 3 green chillies, halved lengthways, seeded and cut into three pieces
- Finely ground paste:
- 17 shallots, peeled
- 5cm fresh turmeric, peeled
- 5 stalks lemon grass, sliced
- Heat the cooking oil and sauté shallots and garlic until crisp. Drain and set aside.
- In the same oil, fry the finely ground paste until aromatic. Add the chicken, preserved shrimps and lime leaves.
- Add the tamarind juice. Season with sugar. Cook until the gravy thickens.
- Stir in chillies and half of the crisp-fried shallots and garlic.
- Garnish with the remaining crisp-fried shallots and garlic just before serving.
You may also like