Ayam Golek is a Malay-styled grilled chicken with various herbs and spices.
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- Spices (blend with a cup of water):
- 5 candlenut
- 8 shallot (peeled)
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 inch ginger (peeled)
- 1 inch galangal (peeled)
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp chicken curry powder
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp fennel powder
- 2 tbsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp kerisik
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- Other ingredients:
- 5 cups of coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 stalk lemongrass (pounded)
- 2 pcs kaffir lime leaves
- 5 pcs of chicken heart
- 5 pcs chicken gizzard (hempedal)
- 2 potatoes (cut into wedges and deep fried, crispy)
- 5 eggs (boiled then deep fried)
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup water (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the chicken
- Sauté the spices for 6 minutes, then add herbs and sauté until fragrant.
- Add salt, lemongrass, lime leaves, deep fried potatoes and boiled eggs.
- Then add and cook heart and gizzard until soft.
- Separate the eggs, potatoes, heart and gizzard when cooked, and then stuff them into the chicken and tie up with butcher's rope. Put the gravy aside.
- To make ayam golek gravy, sauté the paste until golden brown and fragrant then add 5 cups of coconut milk and stir.
- Marinate the chicken with paste gravy and bake the chicken in the oven until golden brown in a 175 degrees Celcius oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and sugar and cook until gravy becomes thick.
- Bast the gravy/paste onto chicken frequently.