This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 2t bsp salt
- 5 tbsp palm oil
- 500 g macaroni
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 200 g minced beef
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 300 ml santan sawit
- 300 ml milk
- 350 g grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 170°C and grease a rectangular pan with margarine. Set aside.
- Bring water, salt and 2 tablespoons oil to boil in a pot. Cook macaroni and drain.
- In a small bowl, mix curry powder with 1 tablespoon water to form a paste. In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil then sauté onion and curry paste. Add in beef and tomato paste. If mixture seems dry, add a little water. Season beef with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add macaroni into beef mixture and stir, then pour into prepared pan.
- Break eggs into a bowl, then whisk in santan sawit and milk. Add in 300g cheddar cheese, mix well, then pour into the pan of macaroni. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned on top and custard is fully set. Cool and serve with chilli sauce, if desired.