This recipe is best with
- Sift together
- 200g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 25g castor sugar
- 160ml water
- 160ml UHT milk
- 1 egg
- 40g butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/8 tsp alkaline water
- ½ cup toasted peanuts, grind coarsely
- ½ cup coarse granulated sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, add salt and sugar to the sifted ingredients. Beat in the egg, water and milk and stir in the melted butter or margarine.
- Whisk until mixture is smooth and well combined, then stir in alkaline water. Mix into a smooth batter. Set mixture aside for 50-60 minutes to rest. Cover with a clean tea towel.
- Heat a non-stick saucepan over a mediumlow heat. Lightly grease the saucepan with a little oil. Clean off any excess oil with a paper towel. Then pour a ladleful of batter into the heated pan. Swirl the pan so that the batter forms a round. Sprinkle some toasted peanut and sugar over it, then cover pan with a lid. Cook until the centre of the pancake is cooked through and the edges turn golden brown. Remove and fold into half, and serve the pancake immediately.