Banana cakes are easy to prepare. They are full of goodness and nutrition.
- 175g butter
- 175g castor sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1cup well-mashed ripe bananas (add 1 tsp lemon juice when mashing)
- 235g self-raising flour (sifted)
- 3/4tsp bicarbonate of soda (sifted)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp grated lemon rind
- Grease and flour a 21cm cake tin. Preheat oven at 170ºC. Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add mashed bananas and beat well. Fold in sifted flour gradually. Beat egg white until stiff and stir into banana mixture. Add lemon juice and rind.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until cake is cooked. Cool cake in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.