- 100g red beans, soaked for several hours
- 60g big red beans (or aduki beans), soaked for several hours
- 50g chickpeas, soaked overnight until well plumped up
- 75g candy brown sugar
- 80g rock sugar
- 2 litres water
- 2 screwpine leaves, shredded and knotted
- 1 small piece (the size of a 10 sen coin) dried mandarin skin
- Wash the soaked beans and drain. Combine the beans and chickpeas in a deep saucepan.
- Pour in water and add screwpine leaves and mandarin skin. Bring to the boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about one hour or until all the beans are tender. Add in the sugars and cook until they dissolve. Dish out and serve hot.