This recipe is best with
- 150 g chilled sirloin or rib eye steak
- Generous sprinkling of crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5-6 fresh shiitake or button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3-4 tbsp cream (or milk)
- Rub and pat crushed peppercorns on the steak. Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan over high heat and pan-fry the steak for approximately 2 minutes per side (3 minutes if you prefer your steak well done). Remove steak onto serving plate and keep somewhere warm.
- Prepare the mushroom sauce.
- Heat butter over medium heat (in the same pan used for the steak). Stir-fry the mushrooms. When they begin to wilt (after a minute or two), pour in the cream (or milk, if dad is calorie-conscious).
- Season with a touch of salt and pepper. Take the pan off the heat as soon as the sauce boils. Pour immediately over the steak and serve.
- Mashed potatoes and a simple salad are good accompaniments to the steak.