Black Glutinous Rice or black rice is unprocessed and appears black in its raw state. After it is cooked, it changes in color to a deep purple. Black glutinous rice is a type of black rice which is short grained and viscous when cooked. I was told that black rice health benefits even exceed that of brown rice. Black Glutinous Rice Dessert or “Bubur Pulut Hitam” is one of my favorite dessert and easy to prepare. The combination of black rice, red dates, longan is good to promote blood & “qi” which would improve circulation.
- 50g Black glutinous rice
- 20g Red dates
- 20g Dried longan
- 10g Lotus seeds
- 600ml Water
- Rock sugar (Adjust to suit individual preference)
- Pinch of salt
- Wash the black glutinous rice, lotus seeds. Soak both ingredients for at least 2 hours.
- Wash red dates (remove the seeds), dried longan and set aside.
- Pour 600ml water into a pot, add in all the ingredients and bring to boil over high heat. Once it started to boil, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 30 minutes until the rice are cooked, soft and sticky. Stir from time to time to prevent burning on the bottom.
- Add in rock sugar and let it boil for another 10 minutes.
- If the texture are to your satisfaction, add in salt, stir and bring to boil. Turn off the heat and cover the pot with its lid. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before severed.