- Lightly grease a loaf tin (18 x 11 x 10cm) with corn oil or grease three tin cans lightly with corn oil.
- Sift the flours into a large mixing bowl. Add salt and make a well in the centre.
- Combine treacle, bicarbonate of soda and water together. Pour mixture into the flour and mix until just well blended.
- Spoon mixture into loaf tin or into the three tin cans. (if using cans, cover the top with lightly greased foil and secure well with a string.)
- Place the loaf tin in a pan filled halfway with boiling water. Steam the bread for three and a quarter to four hours in a steamer. Top with more boiling water as necessary during the steaming process.
- The bread is cooked when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Serve this bread warm with butter, if preferred.
You may also like