- ½ fish head, about 750-800g chopped into big chunks
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 1 tbsp rice wine(optional)
- 3-4 tbsp cornflour for sprinkling
- 2 dried Chinese mushrooms soaked and sliced
- 50g belly pork sliced
- 50g bamboo shoots sliced
- 2 stalks spring onion cut into 4cm sections
- 1 red chilli seeded and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing wine(optional)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½tsp pepper
- ½tsp thick soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- ¾tsp sugar or to taste
- 500ml water
- CLEAN fish head pieces well and season with ginger juice, rice wine (if using) and light soy sauce for 20 minutes.
- Just before deep-frying, coat fish head with cornflour. Deep fry for four to five minutes, then remove and drain.
- Heat oil and sesame oil in a clean wok. Lightly brown ginger and garlic, then add oyster sauce. Add mushrooms, belly pork and bamboo shoots. Sprinkle in Shao Hsing wine (if using) for added aroma.
- Pour in combined sauce ingredients and bring to the boil, then add fish head pieces. Reduce the heat and simmer for five to six minutes. Add red chilli and thicken the gravy before dishing out.