This recipe is best with
- 400g stale bread - cut off crust, slice into triangles andbutter generously on one side
- 75g raisins
- 75g sultanas
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 700ml UHT milk
- 50g melted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Grease an oven-proof dish lightly with butter or margarine. Scatter some fruits on the bottom of the dish.
- Mix (B) well. Dip the bread slices in mixture, then arrange the triangles in neat rows overlapping each other.
- After the first row is neatly arranged, scatter freely with (A). Arrange the next layer and place the rest of the mixed fruits over.
- Beat up (C) and strain through a fine sieve into the remaining milk. Blend together and pour over the bread and fruit in the dish.
- Allow to stand for 30 minutes for the bread to absorb the custard mixture. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon powder and place halved red cherries around.
- Bake pudding in a preheated oven at 160 ºC for about an hour or till set. Brush top with jam that has been heated and if top of pudding is not sufficiently brown, put dish under grill till golden.