This recipe is best with
- 375g high protein flour, sifted
- 40g castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp bread improver
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 110ml UHT milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150g softened butter
- Egg Glaze (combine):
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, bread improver and yeast in an electric mixing bowl. Fit machine with dough hook. Stir in combined egg and milk mixture.
- Mix on slow speed for three minutes, then at medium speed for three more minutes. Add butter and knead with the machine on slow speed for three minutes.
- Knead for a further six to eight minutes on medium speed until dough turns soft and smooth.
- Cover and leave aside to prove for 45 to 50 minutes or until dough doubles in bulk. Knock down dough and knead for one minute, then set aside to prove for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Place dough on a floured surface and cut into required equal big and small pieces. Shape the pieces into big and small balls.
- Place a big ball on a greased mould. Lightly dip your forefinger into beaten egg white and wet the centre of it. Then place the smaller ball in the centre. Press gently and lightly to stick the two balls together. Leave brioche aside to prove for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Brush brioches with egg glaze and place on a baking tray. Bake in preheated oven at 190 ºC for 12 to 15 minutes or until glossy and golden brown.
- Serve brioches with any desired conserve or jam.