This recipe is best with
- 300g high-gluten flour, sifted
- 25g castor sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5g instant yeast
- 170ml fresh milk
- 45g butter
- 15g dried blackcurrants
- 10g raisins
- 10g dried cranberries
- 25g toasted walnuts, chopped coarsely
- Glaze (lightly beaten together)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fresh milk
- Some almond flakes
- Combine sifted flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl. Process in a mixer with a dough hook, for 20 seconds. Add milk and beat until a soft dough is formed. Mix in butter and continue to beat until the dough is smooth. Add in all the dried fruits and nuts.
- Cover mixing bowl with a damp tea towel. Leave aside in a warm place in the kitchen for 50 minutes for it to double in size.
- Remove dough from the mixing bowl onto a lightly floured tabletop. Knead lightly then divide into 3 equal portions. Roll each portion into a strip 30cm long. Lay them side by side then gather the ends of the strips together and weave into a braid. Pinch the end and tuck in neatly. Leave aside on a greased baking tray and cover with cling film. Let it rise for another 40 minutes until doubled in size.
- Brush lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with almond flakes. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through when tapped on the underside.