This recipe is best with
- 175g butter
- 150g castor sugar
- 1/2 an egg
- 1/4 tsp coffee essence
- 1/2 tsp Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 80g almond nibs
- 6g cocoa powder, sifted
- 35g roasted macadamia nuts
- Cream butter with sugar until light. Add in egg and continue to beat until smooth and light. Stir in Kahlua, coffee essence and vanilla essence and mix.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients and (A). Blend well until the mixture holds together. Divide into two equal portions.
- To one half portion add in (B). Mix lightly until the mixture binds well together to form a ball of dough. Leave the other portion plain.
- Combine the cocoa/macadamia portion with the plain portion of the dough and blend into a textured design. Transfer the combined dough onto a piece of baking paper. Cover with another piece of baking paper and roll flat with a rolling pin to about 5mm thickness. Remove the baking paper and press a 20cm fluted flan tin with a loose base on top of the dough to form a pattern.
- Transfer the cut-out dough onto a lightly greased baking tray. Mark into eight triangles with a knife and prick dough surface with a fork. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sugar.
- Bake in preheated 180°C oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Leave in the baking tray for 3-4 minutes before removing shortbread out on to a wire rack to cool completely.