Here’s a traditional simple rice recipe, Burasak. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 500g rice (washed and drained)
- 250ml santan sawit
- 300ml water
- 1 tbsp salt
- young banana leaves (softened and cut into A4 size)
- old banana leaves (softened)
- Cook the rice with the santan, water and salt, then allow to cool. Place a scoop of rice into the middle of a young banana leaf and wrap into a thin rectangular parcel, pressing to compact it evenly. Repeat until all the rice is used.
- Use the old banana leaves to wrap over the parcels, tying each tightly with raffia string. Place all the rice parcels into a pot and fill with enough water to cover; weigh down with a plate to ensure parcels stay submerged.
- Boil the rice parcels for 1 to 3 hours, then remove, drain and allow to cool before serving.