This recipe is best with
- 50g diced prunes
- 40g slivered almonds
- 30g self-raising flour
- 225g butter
- 180g castor sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g plain flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 80ml evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Some extra whole prunes
- Grease sides and line base and sides of two 20cm by 8cm by 5cm loaf pans with greased baking paper.
- Place prunes and almonds in a bowl with 30g self-raising flour. Toss to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and castor sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Sift the plain flour and self-raising flour together, and add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Fold in floured diced prunes and almonds. Turn mixture into prepared pans and level the surface.
- Spread a few pieces of prunes over the cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 45 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan for eight to 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.