This recipe is best with
- 1 ½ cans evaporated milk
- 2 ¼ cans water (use the same can from the evaporated milk for measurement)
- 950g castor sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 40g butter
- 55g roasted whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- Combine milk, water and sugar in a non-stick saucepan. Cook over a low and gentle heat, stirring continuously for about 45 minutes.
- When the mixture has thickened and starts to leave the sides of the pan, add butter and essence and continue stirring. Add almonds to mix.
- Test the mixture by dropping a small portion into a glass of cold water. If a soft ball forms, the mixture is ready.
- Pour the toffee mixture into a lightly greased tray. Cut into pieces while the mixture is stiff, soft and warm.