This is a recipe for a basic sponge cake only and you may use this recipe as a base to add on other fillings or toppings as you like!
This recipe is best with
- 6 eggs
- 175g castor sugar
- 1 tsp Quick 75 or Ovalette
- 225g superfine flour, sifted
- 60g melted butter or corn oil
- 50ml cold water
- Line two 20cm round cake pans with non stick parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 ºC.
- Put eggs, sugar and Quick 75 (ovalette) in a large mixing bowl fitted with an electric beater. Whisk with a balloon whisk till pale and stiff.
- Gently fold in sifted flour with a metal spoon. Stir in water carefully then gently add in melted butter to combine.
- Turn batter into prepared tins. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched lightly with your finger.
- When cold, sandwich cake as desired.