This recipe is best with
- 240g butter
- 600g castor sugar
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 380ml UHT milk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Melt butter, sugar, evaporated milk and UHT milk in a heavy saucepan. Stir over medium low heat until butter has melted and sugar dissolved completely.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in cocoa, essence and brandy. Stir well until mixture is free from lumps.
- Return pan to the heat and bring slowly to the boil stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and cook until the fudge reaches a stage whereby the mixture forms a soft "ball" when dropped into a bowl of cold water.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased baking tray. Leave aside to set and cool. Mark into squares with a sharp knife.
- Chill until required, then cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.