This recipe is best with
- 3 cups grated white coconut
- 500g castor sugar
- 170g evaporated milk
- 40g butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp rum liqueur
- A few drops yellow colouring
- Lightly grease a 17x16cm tray with corn oil.
- Combine grated coconut, sugar, salt and evaporated milk in a non-stick pan. Cook over a gentle low heat, stirring continuously until sugar dissolves.
- Add butter, vanilla essence and colouring. Keep stirring until mixture gradually starts to thicken. Add in liqueur and continue to stir until evenly mixed.
- Transfer the mixture into prepared tray. Level the surface using a piece of plastic sheet. Press down with the help of a rolling pin.
- Leave the candy aside to set. Cut the candy into small squares when it is slightly cool.
- Remove the coconut candy from the tray after it has completely cooled.