This recipe is best with
- 4 egg yolks
- 90g castor sugar
- 85g butter
- 50g black treacle
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp rum
- 55ml UHT milk
- Sift (three times):
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Grease and flour a loaf pan. Preheat oven to 180 ºC. Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Heat butter to melt it then add in butter to the beaten egg yolk mixture gradually. Stir in black treacle and beat mixture well.
- Whisk egg whites together with sugar till frothy, then sift in cream of tartar. Continue to whisk until the mixture turns just stiff.
- Slowly add egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg white mixture. Fold in gently till evenly blended.
- Fold in sifted ingredients (flour mixture) in batches into the egg batter. Stir in rum and milk. Mix well.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake at 180 ºC for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 140 ºC and continue to bake for another 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed with the fingertips.
- Remove cake to a wire rack to cool slightly before turning out the cake to cool completely.