This recipe is best with
- 1 garoupa
- Seasoning for fish (A):
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger juice
- A dash of pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 6 tbsp evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp butter/ margarine
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 stalks curry leaves, use the leaves only
- 1 tbsp bird´s eye chillies, chopped
- 6 dried chillies, cut into halves and seeded
- For sauce:
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
- Clean fish and fillet fish into thick slices. Keep the head and centre backbone and tail. Marinate fish slices, head and centre backbone with seasoning (A) for 30 minutes.
- Dip fish slices, head and backbone in egg white and toss in corn flour. Deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter/ margarine and oil in a wok, hold a fine sieve over the wok, pour the egg yolk mixture into the sieve and allow the egg yolk mixture to drizzle into the heated butter.
- Use a spatula to swirl the mixture around briskly until it becomes fine strands. Once cooked, pour the cooked egg yolk strands into another clean sieve. Set aside.
- Return the melted butter to the wok, add evaporated milk and cook over a low heat until mixture turns thick.
- Add in sugar and fry well. Add curry leaves, bird´s eye chillies and dried chillies and sauce ingredients. Fry until fragrant.
- Put back the pre-fried fish slices and egg yolk strands. Gently toss well to combine. Dish out and serve.