This recipe is best with
- 100g butter
- 100g shortening
- 125g sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 egg yolk
- 275g flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 tsp Emplex
- 100g finely chopped hazelnuts (or any nut of your choice e.g. almonds, pecans, cashewnuts)
- Preheat oven at 170°C. Line trays with non-stick parchment. Beat butter, shortening, sugar and egg yolk until light. Add in lemon rind. Stir in sifted flour and half portion of nuts. Combine well.
- Remove mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a log. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate until just firm (about 30 to 40 minutes).
- Remove from the refrigerator and unwrap. Brush lightly with beaten egg white all round. Coat with remaining nuts.
- Cut into 1/4cm thick slices. Place on prepared trays and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown in colour. Cool slightly, then carefully lift cookies onto wire racks to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.