This recipe is best with
- 600g fragrant long grain rice, rinse, wash and drain in a colander
- 100g frozen peas
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 5½ cups water
- 5 cardamoms, lightly smashed
- 2 cloves garlic, with skins on and lightly smashed
- 5cm cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 4 cloves 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- Put butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and fry until soft, lightly browned and fragrant. Mix in the spices and fry for 40-50 seconds to a minute. Add the rice and stir well to blend.
- Pour in the water and add the seasoning. Bring to a boil then bring down the heat to low. Cover the saucepan and cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove the cover and give the rice a quick stir.
- Add the peas the cover the saucepan again.
- Continue to cook for 8-10 minutes or until rice is done. Leave the rice to stand for 10 minutes before fluffing up the rice.