This recipe is best with
- 1 small box (about 7.5 ounces) cornbread muffin mix
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder, or to taste (may substitute chili powder or cayenne pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound peeled shrimp, tail on or off as you prefer
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peanut oil for frying
- Whisk together cornbread mix, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, chipotle powder, paprika, cumin, and salt until combined.
- Dip shrimp into buttermilk, drain well, then dip into cornbread mixture.
- Tap off excess and place on a baking sheet. When all shrimp have been breaded, place the shrimp on the tray in the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oil in deep-fryer or deep heavy skillet to 375 F. Fry shrimp in batches, taking care not to overcrowd, until golden brown.