This recipe is best with
- 175g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 50g butter, melted
- 170ml UHT milk
- 1/2tsp vanilla essence
- 1tsp grated lemon or orange rind
- 160g canned blueberries (use only the blueberries and discard the rest of the contents)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. Preheat oven to 200 ºC. Put sifted ingredients into a mixing bowl. Whisk eggs until blended, then add the melted butter, essence, milk and lemon or orange rind. Stir well to combine.
- Put sifted ingredients into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the egg mixture. Use a large metal spoon to stir until the flour is moistened and not lumpy or until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Stir in the blueberries and mix. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them until they're 3/4 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the muffins spring back when they are pressed lightly.
- Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the pan for five to six minutes before turning out.