This recipe is best with
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 120ml whipping cream
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- ½ tsp coffee essence
- 35g castor sugar
- Butter and cocoa powder to prepare 4 ramekins
- Icing sugar
- Brush base and sides of ramekins with butter then dust lightly with cocoa powder. Tap out excess and leave aside. Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Put chocolate into a heavy-based pan and add the cream. Cook over a gentle heat and stir until chocolate is melted. Take pan off the heat and stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in the egg yolks one at a time and mix in coffee liqueur and essence. Cool to lukewarm.
- Put the 5 egg whites into a clean bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form, then sprinkle with the castor sugar and beat again to make a smooth meringue.
- The mocha mixture should be just warm (reheat it gently if necessary). With a large metal spoon add a little of the meringue to the mocha mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Pour the mocha mixture on top of the remaining meringue and gently fold the two mixtures together until evenly combined (do not overmix).
- Spoon mixture into prepared ramekins. Make sure that the soufflé mixture comes to just below the rim. Bake immediately for 15-16 minutes. Remove from the oven and lightly sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve immediately.