- Line and grease a 15cm x 22cm loaf tin. Combine fruit and nuts in a large bowl. Stir in ground almonds and sift in baking powder. Mix well.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl with an electric whisk until thick and creamy.
- Add honey and vanilla essence and continue to beat for half a minute.
- Fold in the combined fruit and nuts mixture and mix by hand. Very gently stir in the brandy or rum and mix well.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin and bake in a peheated oven at 150 ºC for one and a quarter hours or until cake is done.
- Remove cake from the oven and slowly drizzle two to three tablespoons brandy or rum over it. Leave cake to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Cut cake into half and wrap up beautifully as a gift for friends and relatives for Christmas.
- * Brandy may be substituted with non-alcoholic fruit juice but the taste will not be the same.
You may also like