This recipe is best with
- 225g butter
- 220g castor sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2tbsp orange liqueur (optional)
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 190g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2tbsp milk powder
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Grease, line and grease a 23cm cake tin. Preheat oven to 170°C. Sift together the plain flour, baking powder and milk powder.
- Cream butter, sugar and essence until light. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add orange rind and liqueur to mix. Fold in sifted dry ingredients and orange juice, alternating them evenly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and stir into the cake mixture. Scoop batter into prepared cake tin. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 150°C and continue to bake for 60-70 minutes or until cake is cooked through when tested with a wooden skewer.