This recipe is best with
- 45g butter
- 35g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 30g castor sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3½ tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice or use 2½ tbsp Cointreau (orange liqueur), optional
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 4 egg whites
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 200°C and prepare 4 ramekins. Melt butter in a non-stick saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour to mix until blended. Gradually pour in milk and cook stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Take the saucepan off the heat. Add sugar to the milk mixture and beat well with a whisk.
- Add all the egg yolks and beat rapidly until well blended. Leave aside until the mixture is lukewarm, but stir occasionally. Add the orange juice or Cointreau (optional) and mix in the grated orange and lemon zest.
- Beat egg whites on full speed until stiff peaks form. Use a rubber spatula to fold the beaten whites into the yolk mixture a third at a time.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared ramekins. Bake the soufflés for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Lightly dust the soufflés with icing sugar. Serve immediately.