This recipe is best with
- 360g self-raising flour, sifted
- 125g castor sugar
- 125g butter, cubed
- 125ml UHT milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup chopped red cherries
- Lightly grease muffin pans with melted butter. Preheat oven to 190ºC or 200ºC.
- Put sifted flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Rub in butter with fingertips. Combine milk, vanilla essence and eggs and gradually add to the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until mixture is coarse and lumpy. (Do not over-mix.) Add chopped cherries and mix lightly.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Turn out from pans onto wire racks to cool.