Make these tasty melt-in-your-mouth Ghee Balls from scratch for Deepavali. This recipe is courtesy of Venusitas and was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 225g mung beans
- 225g suji
- 225g ghee
- 50g cashew nuts
- 175g fine sugar
- In a wide, flat base pan, roast the mung beans over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool completely before grinding into flour. You can use a coffee grinder or a high-power blender, grinding small batches for about 30 seconds to get a smooth and even powder.
- In another pan, roast the suji over medium heat till golden, stirring frequently. Be careful not to let the suji burn. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a separate pan, cook the ghee for about 30 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Take a tablespoon of the ghee and fry the cashews, tossing them frequently to ensure they are evenly roasted. Roast the nuts till light brown, then remove from heat and leave to cool. Once cooled, grind into a powder.
- Mix mung bean and cashew flour with sugar and suji, then pour in the warm ghee. Using your fingers, shape the mixture into balls. Cool before serving.