This recipe is best with
- Short crust pastry:
- 125gm butter
- 125gm wholemeal flour
- 123gm white flour
- pinch of salt
- iced water (2 or 3 tsp)
- 1kg fresh cherries
- 1 jar cherry jam
- Put the butter and the flour in a mixing bowl.
- Dredge the mixture until texture turns ‘sandy´.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add in the iced water and mix to a dough.
- Set aside for about 15 minutes in a refrigerator.
- Roll the pastry out to about ¼-inch thick.
- Using a flan tin with a detachable bottom, line the flan tin.
- Mould the inside of the pastry with kitchen foil. This will prop up the sides of the flan.
- Place in a heated oven to bake for about 25 to 30 minutes at about 170 degrees Celsius.
- When the pastry is cooked and cooled, remove the foil. (This process is called cooking a flan blind – just the pastry with no filling in the flan).
- Line the bottom of the flan with about half the bottle of jam.
- Cover the top of the jam with the stoned cherries.
- In a saucepan, heat up the remainder of the jam with a little water.
- Strain the jam to remove any sediment and spoon the smooth jelly over the cherries.
- It is necessary to line the flan with the jam at the bottom and the jelly over the fruits, to hold the fruits.
- Serve with fresh cream.