- Sieve flour, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in diced butter till mixture resembles breadcrumb.
- Add thyme, parsley and egg yolk and combine well with enough ice water to make the ingredients cling together.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead lightly till smooth.
- Wrap pastry with grease-proof paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry out on a lightly floured surface until huge enough to line a 22cm loose-base, round flan tin.
- Lift pastry carefully into tin, ease into the sides then trim the edges.
- Prick the base with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cover pastry with grease-proof paper and fill with dried beans or rice.
- Bake at 200 ºC for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans and continue to bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until centre is lightly browned.
- Leave to cool.
To make filling:
- Heat 2 tsp corn oil in a pan and fry onions and garlic till soft.
- Dish out and drain on absorbent kitchen paper towels.
- Spread onion mixture evenly on the baked pastry case.
- Sprinkle over with shredded chicken and sliced ham if used.
- Top up with chives and grated cheese.
- Combine eggs, seasoning, yoghurt and reduced cream.
- Pour egg mixture carefully into the pastry case.
- Sprinkle with chives and add a dash of paprika and arrange ham slices (optional) all over.
- Bake quiche in a preheated oven at 180 to 190 ºC for 45 to 50 minutes or till filling is set.
You may also like