Mom used to cook this dish and it was awesome for us kids, because it was just chicken and potatoes! Try this heart-warming dish if you’re looking for something to pair with other stir fried dishes, as is popular with most Asian dinners.
- 1 chicken (generally will weigh about about 1 to 1.4kg) - chopped small
- 5 pieces medium potatoes
- 5 medium red onions - chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic - chopped finely
- 1cm ginger - grounded into paste
- 1tbsp taucu (bean paste)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (may add more or less according to liking)
- 2 tbsp shaved gula melaka
- sprinkling of pepper
- Saute chopped onions till fragrant and golden brown.
- Add in ginger paste, saute lightly and add in chopped garlic.
- Add in taucu and saute.
- Add in chicken pieces and potatoes and saute till fragrant and golden brown. Remember to toss them from time to time to prevent burning.
- Pour in soy sauce and top up with water till chicken pieces are 3/4 covered. Cover and cook for 10 mins till chicken pieces are tender and the sauce is reduced to about 1/2.
- Add in gula melaka and pepper. Season according to your liking!
- When you're happy with the taste, turn off the fire and the dish is ready to serve!
- Best served with piping hot rice!