This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 300g shallots
- 50g ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cili boh
- 1 chicken (cut into 10 to 12 pieces)
- 500ml santan sawit
- 300ml water
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 stalks lemongrass (bruised)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (torn)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp kerisik
- Blend the shallots, ginger, garlic, turmeric and cili boh in a blender and process till fine.
- Place the paste in a pot with the chicken, santan, water, tamarind paste and salt and bring to a boil. Add the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, then lower heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken pieces from the pan and set aside.
- Continue cooking the gravy until thick, then add the chicken back into the pan with the brown sugar and kerisik and cook, stirring for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.