- 1.5-2kg chicken bones, cleaned
- 1 leek, use the pale section only, chopped
- 250g carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks (omit the leaves), chopped
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, keep whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp white peppercorns
- Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy-based stockpot and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil then discard the liquid.
- Return all the ingredients to the stockpot and cover with enough cold water again. Bring to boil over medium heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1-1½ hours. Occasionally skim impurities.
- Strain the stock when it has cooled down. Refrigerate stock for up to two days or freeze for up to two months.