Serve this Chocolate Barfi for tea, as a snack, or as a dessert to end your meal memorably. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
This recipe is best with
- 1litre full cream milk
- 250g milk powder
- 300ml heavy cream
- 120g plain yoghurt
- 150g sugar
- 1tbsp cocoa or chocolate powder
- almonds and pistachio, ssliced, to garnish
- Mix milk and milk powder until a smooth paste is formed. Using a large, heavy-based saucepan, boil milk mixture with cream for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture reduced in half. Stir continuously to avoid mixture burning.
- Add yoghurt (milk should curdle after this). Continue cooking on medium to low heat until mixture has a thick consistency. Add sugar and cook till mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Set other half in a greased tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Add cocoa to the rest of the mixture. Combine well. Spread evenly over first layer. Chill until firm (about 1 hour).
- Garnish with nuts. Serve cold.